Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Feed And Water Buckets



I made a 5 gallon chicken feeder and a 5 gallon water bucket for the chicken coop. These come in handy when leaving for a few days or so you don't have to fill a smaller feed and water bucket everyday.




You start with a 5 gallon food grade bucket available at any hardware store. I used a jigsaw to cut out the holes in the side. If you have a 2-3 inch hole cutter for your drill, I would use that. You can find the metal pan at any agriculture store for about $5.






 

I screwed the metal pan to the 5 gallon bucket. Run your screws through the metal pan into the 5 gallon bucket. I screwed wine corks into the screws inside the bucket to hold it in place. I am sure there is a better way to do it, but this worked well for me.






 

For the waterer, start with a food grade 5 gallon bucket. You will need to pick up some horizontally mounted chicken nipples to make this waterer. You can find them here. Follow the instructions that come with them. You basically drill a hole smaller than the widest part of the nipple you screw in. You then screw the nipple into the bucket until it is tight and upright. The best part is the chickens can't get the water dirty!







3 comments:

  1. The nipple waterers are definitely a life changer.

    Do you find a lot of feed gets spilled with your design? My holes are much shorter, but wider. Like long rectangles about 1.5 inches tall and 4 inches wide. This keeps a more shallow amount of feed in the pan, but they know to peck near the holes when more needs released. My first bucket had much taller holes and they seemed to fling feed everywhere and go through it a lot faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is some spillage around the feeder, but they clean it up pretty good. When I made the duck feeder I used a 1 inch bit to drill the holes, they may be to small. I think your design is probably optimal. How did you cut the rectangles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Serenity Autumn, currently living in Texas city, USA. I am a widow at the moment with Four kids and i was stuck in a financial situation in May 2019 and i needed to refinance and pay my bills. I tried seeking loans from various loan firms both private and corporate but never with success, and most banks declined my credit. But as God would have it, I was introduced to a woman of God a private loan lender who gave me a loan of 850,000.00 USD and today am a business owner and my kids are doing well at the moment, if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan without collateral , no credit check, no co signer with just 2% interest rate and better repayment plans and schedule, please contact Mrs Mr Bejamin Lee On Email 247officedept@gmail.com   And Whats-App +1-989-394-3740. He doesn't know that am doing this but am so happy now and i decided to let people know more about him and also i want God to bless him more.

    ReplyDelete